Tuesday, June 5, 2012

AFS Events

Hello,

So far, AFS has been really great. I have been to two AFS events this year: a trip to Augusta, the capital of Maine; and a Pre-Departure Orientation in Poland Springs.

In early April, I attended an AFS event in Augusta, the capital of the state of Maine. It is not that big of a city, but it is nice enough. I was excited for this trip because I went with one of my friends from Kennebunk (she was a hopeful student, she will do it next year). I was also extremely looking forward to watching the political process because I wish to do politics in college J . Coincidently, it was ‘Turkish Cultural Day’ in Augusta and there was a expo-like event in the Capitol Building about Turkish culture. On top of that, I got to meet the governor! J

Last month, I attended my Pre-Departure Orientation for AFS. The orientation was made to answer questions about exchange and to allow us to meet returnees and exchange students in the area. It was fun - we stayed overnight at Aggasiz Village (a camp resort on the lake, it was a really nice place). While I was there, I became friends with several people (mostly current exchange students), and I was able to meet a Turkish student that answered my questions about Turkey. I was also surprised by the amount of American students. There were no more than ten, and I thought there would be more. Also, I am the only one going to Asia (well, sort of).

Anyways, I really enjoy AFS so far. When I was choosing which organization to go with, I had many options and I am happy that I chose AFS J


I am standing next to Governor LePage :)


This is the Governor's signature coin - a tradition for Maine governors (and I got one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment